We wanted a creamy white tone to lighten up the space and also wanted to add some interest to the boring boxy island. We settled on using Van Gogh Chalk Paint and a faux leg (or two)! I also recommended that we glaze it with a mocha glaze, we chose Valspar Translucent Glaze (not pictured).
The cabinets were first de-greased with Simple Green. Then, we tried out the first coat of paint on one side before putting on the legs! We were a little excited, plus I didn't want to give her the chance to back out. The paint went on smooth with a foam roller and natural bristle artist brushes. Once the paint was on it, there was no turning back! Next, we took our "legs", which were really halves of a newel post (a.k.a. those things at the bottom of a staircase) and cut the tops off so that we had a flat edge to butt up underneath the counter top.
A whole lot of Liquid Nails later...This is how it looked installed (after we took the quarter round off, which was no easy task!)
Then, after all of that it was decided that we didn't like this look! What Lori really wanted was a pizza! Umm, not the pizza you eat but a pizza cut leg that would fit the corner of the island. Sooo, off came the first leg attempt and we were left with this... that's a whole lot of liquid nails to scrape off!
After Lori scraped off all the glue and purchased whole newel posts, we had to find someone to make a pizza cut for us. Now, I can make a mean pizza, but I cannot cut a wedge out of a newel. So, we stalked the neighborhood for any workers that might be doing work in the area. And we came across these guys...
Lo and behold, they knew how to make a pizza cut! Woohoo!
All that was left to do was glue it in place and caulk! The next day we finished our painting and followed that up with a coat of satin poly. After that it was on to the glaze (just a little).
It was only applied to the creases and edges and then immediately wiped with a clean lint free cloth, leaving a small amount of glaze. This is what we wanted to achieve...just a hint of depth.
Left door with glaze (partially), right door without glaze.
Lori's cute knobs where put back on and really stood out against the creamy white.
It's hard to see the glaze in the after shots, as it is really subtle. Overall, it took us about 5 days to complete this project and we used 1 and 1/4 quarts of Van Gogh Chalk paint to fully cover the dark wood. Three coats of paint!
Here is what we started with...
And, here is our end result (still trying to find the perfect outlet cover).
Wait...problem solved! Just add a towel bar!
I think we really freshened up her kitchen and added significant interest to her island! Now, if she'd just let me paint her bookcase...
You can find Lori over at her photography website here. Feel free to pressure her into painting the bookcase or at least the back of the bookcase! Also, I'd love to know what you think of this kitchen island makeover in the comments below! I hope you all enjoy your weekend!
Funday Monday Mop it Up Mondays Inspiration Monday The Scoop Meta Monday
Give Me the Goods Meta Monday Thrifty Decor Chic Make it Pretty Monday Project Inspire(d)
The DIYérs Alderberry Hill
Tuesdays Treasures Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Be Inspired Not Just a Housewife
Cozy Little House Home Stories A-Z The Scoop Inspire Me Tuesday Knick of Time
Power of Paint
Wow us Wednesdays Home (work) Wednesday
Work it Wednesday DIY by Design Blissful White Wednesday
The Charm of Home Grace at Home All things Thursday Blog Hop
Stone Gable Off the Hook Link Party Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Daily Cup Open House Party
Jennifer Rizzo Show and Tell Friday Be Inspired Serenity Now Frugalicious Friday
Feathered Nest Friday Flaunt it Friday Frugal Friday Funky Junk Interiors Foodie Friday
Recipe Swap Hop The Showoff Weekend Blog Party Pin Me Linky Party Anything Blue Friday
Show & Tell Saturday Weekend Wrap Up
It's Overflowing Strut Your Stuff Saturday
Weekend Wonders Fall Yáll Link Party
Sunday Showcase Party Pretty Things
Suburbs Mama Creative Home & Garden Hop
That DIY Party Get Your DIY on